You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

5.06.2009

The Future of the Faux Doc Sitcom

I had a dream last night where I met Amy Poehler at a party, and we were talking about her show Parks & Recreation. (Rashida Jones was also there, but we didn't talk business much) I asked Amy if she thought the pseudo-documentary style of the Office and now P&R was the future of television, and she said yes.

Anyways, when I woke up I found myself wondering if there is any truth to that, whether that style is going to expand beyond NBC Thursday nights. The three camera set up is dead for sitcoms - rest in peace. So is the faux doc style potentially a trend for how it will continue to be replaced? Or is it too much a character in itself of the shows its used in?

I don't know. But I think it's cool that I started wondering that from a dream.

1 Comments:

Blogger Eliot said...

i don't think it will ever be the "standard", because there will always be shows like "it's always sunny in philadelphia" that are great sitcoms without breaking the fourth wall. but it is definitely a narrative style that almost all of my favorite current/recent sitcoms (arrested, curb, office uk, office us, parks and rec, summer heights high) share in common, and i think it's definitely gonna become more prevalent.

02:39

 

Post a Comment

<< Home